Monday, September 14, 2009

Walter Mitty's World

I do not know if I am boring but I can tell you I am hardly ever bored. Somehow a very long time ago I learned how to keep my mind busy. Maybe I'm simple minded but it apparently doesn't take much to amuse me. I don't mind being alone. I'm not a lonely person.

It certainly helps that I enjoy reading so my mind is often occupied reading something even if it is just the back of the cereal box. My curiosity tends to keep my mind active as well as possessing a healthy imagination
.
Visually I'm always scanning, noticing the environment surrounding me. I admit to being an avid people watcher, not critical more quizzical. In airports, I'll make up little stories about people, where they might be going and extrapolate regarding their traveling companions
.
I'll make a further distinction that my mind is not obsessed with worried thoughts. Actually there is a large portion of randomness and free association that often prevails. I'm always having internal conversations with myself and humor is often on the edge of whatever thoughts my mind generates. I'm not afraid of my thoughts and just about anything is fair game. Once in awhile I shock myself but since it is just me and my thoughts I'm not likely to get myself in any trouble as long as I know it's not reality.

The difficult task is to remain in the" here and now " and to be careful not to over intellectualize. Being present is a wonderful place to be and life can be as interesting as I choose to make it.So I may be a bit of a day dreamer at times but that does not mean that I am preoccupied with my own thoughts to the extent I miss what is going on.

Okay, so I know I'm a bit weird sometimes......but usually harmless.

4 comments:

underOvr (aka The U) said...

gaf85,

As someone who is an, "avid people watcher", I don't think of you as a bit weird. I've come to enjoy your randomness and free association.

It's part of what makes you, you; someone I find facinating; okay, sometimes a bit weird but nonetheless facinating.

U

Michael Horvath said...

I agree, staying in the here and now is a challenge. I am grateful that I am able to recognize that and put it into practice.

Madame DeFarge said...

Certainly not weird. Curious maybe, but not weird. I always overintellectualise and then wonder why I'm so dissatisfied with life. I should stop and just be still sometimes, but there always seems something to think about.

gaf85 said...

U, Walter Mitty will relay your message to the Borg. It's okay to be a bit weird, certainly not boring,right?

Miles, Oh to be a day dreamer yet also able to enjoy the present....

Madame, I agree that sometimes it is a very delicate balance between over intellectualizing and being preoccupied.