Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Fashionista Speaks

Do you ever wonder how some women's sense of fashion can be a disaster yet other's seem to make it look effortless and always seem to look good. Well, news flash, looking well put together does take effort. I realized awhile ago that if I wanted to look halfway presentable I would need to focus a bit more on some basic rules which I formulated after witnessing some mistakes made by my contemporaries. For the working women dressing the part regarding your employment or career should be taken somewhat seriously, not necessarily fastidiously, but at least take a rational look at what your job description requires and the work setting.
  • Unless you work in a bar or nightclub you shouldn't look like a cocktail waitress who lost their way trying to find their office. That means wearing see through shirts, and short mini-skirts are not really appropriate for a professional setting. No one wants to see your bra straps either or your bra showing through your blouse. If you are aging into your forties or fifties you are going to look like a desperate women seeking attention.(Oh yeah, and wearing a bra is mandatory for the girls).
  • When the warm weather is here,it is not permission to look like you are going to the beach instead of your office. I love wearing flip flops for casual outings or around the house but I think this should be avoided in an office setting unless they are dressy type sandals. If you are going to show your toes, splash a bit of paint on them. Let's face it, not many of us have perfect looking feet, so no one wants to be treated to the sight of gnarly toes and bunions.
  • I realize younger women very rarely wear nylons anymore and I don't really have a problem with that especially on a very hot day. Just look at what you are wearing, and if it involves wearing a suit, wearing nylons might perhaps give a more finished look, especially if attending a meeting outside the office. ( By the way, wearing knee highs under a long skirt is a major fashion faux paux.)
  • I have a major issue with showing too much cleavage. Some men would probably insist there is no such thing as too much cleavage. In the office I think you may have difficulty being taken seriously or thought of as some type of bimbo if you are displaying the girls as a way of looking sexy. If there is a man you are interested in save it for after work because office romance is way too complicated and could derail you chances for professional advancement.
  • We're not in the sixties anymore so shaving your legs and armpits should be a no brainer. I have a visceral reaction when I see hairy body parts on my women peers. Forget about "hippie chic" it's more like "hippie eek!". It also doesn't hurt to do a little plucking and shaping of the eyebrows, and applying some facial makeup to hide some of the blotches and irregular areas.
  • We have a dress down day in our office now on Friday's. This has turned into dress down every day and no one seems to care about whether there is a dress code anymore. I think it is fine to wear jeans to the office as long as you are not looking like you are going out to pull weeds out of your garden or clean the garage. There are so many fashion programs on the television now that show the fashion challenged how to mix and match their clothes. It is possible to look quite nice in a pair of well fitting stylish jeans, sans muffin tops, with a cute jersey or top.
  • When I go out to the stores on the weekends to do my errands I take a look in the mirror at myself just to check before I leave my house. I am not going to wear something that is soiled or covered in lint. Actually, I think athletic clothing can be quite acceptable however, women with big rear ends wearing tight stretch pants is a horror show. I have actually flown on planes in a cute (matching) jogging or athletic suit. I have discovered that comfort is important but do not want to look like I am on my way to the gym.
  • It's important to dress your age. I think it is totally pathetic to see a women in her forties or fifties trying to squeeze into junior size or style clothing. Even if someone has a nice figure trying to look like a teenager or a "twenty something", just looks desperate. I won't say that older women should dress "frumpy", I just think age appropriate clothing is much more attractive.
  • So now you know that I'll be taking notes and watching, just kidding. I am not as superficial as this might sound but there is no excuse for looking like you just rolled out of bed and look like a rumpled mess or a hippie prostitute looking for a date at a cocktail lounge.

4 comments:

sarahsmile3 said...

I agree 100%! I have to add that women in their 20s should avoid wearing their pajamas to the grocery store. It's not "cute", it's sloppy.

Madame DeFarge said...

I feel a sudden irrational urge to check what I'm wearing just in case you shout at me.

gaf85 said...

Sarah,
Oh geez, don't get me started on that whole pajama wearing in public!

Madame,
I'm more the shooter of dirty looks than shouting, or so I've been told.
LOL :)

Nota Bene said...

Oh...you should so apply this to men as well...but then I might be a 'fail' ;-(