Monday, January 19, 2009

White Flakes in the Sky

Winter
not summer
grey snowy days, too many
hats, boots, and gloves
trying to keep warm
car in four wheel drive on way home from work, not happy
drifting and blowing
animal tracks in snow out in yard
snow blower shooting spouts like old faithful
stay inside, read a book with a cup of tea
keeping track of weather forecast
school cancelled
wood stove cranking out heat
under the covers, wearing socks to bed
People scurrying into buildings
seeing your own breath outside
waiting for Spring

4 comments:

underOvr (aka The U) said...

As a child, I loved the winters in Chicago, but my young adult years focused on adapting to the seasonal changes of winter. Today, for me, it has been far too long since I've lived in a truely cold weather climate.

Your post brings back good memories of a place I once called home.

Thanks,

underOvr

Michael Horvath said...

Nice poem however unlike The U i hated winter. I had to go south. I would rather read it than live in it. It did bring back memories...

My buddies and I used to shovel off the basketball courts, cut the fingers off our gloves and play ball in sweatshirts in 20 degree weather not counting the windchill. Our Mom's would go crazy.

gaf85 said...

U, Staying inside and blogging far outweighs my desire to be out in the elements.
My memories as a child during winter included playing outside in the snow which regretfully kids are not encouraged to do as often.
Thanks for your comment.

gaf85 said...

MPH, Basketball in the snow, how "cool" is that!